Puzzle Solution - two wooden balls, rope and metal ring ???
e***@gmail.com
2006-09-18 04:01:58 UTC
Hello,

I picked this up at a garage sale and as usually for anyone who can't
solve it, I start exclaiming that its an unsolvable gag trick.

Anyone seen this and know if its solvable? Would appreciate either
some tips or solution link.

Thanks for reading.
Cheers,
Eric
Carl G.
2006-09-18 05:35:52 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
Hello,
I picked this up at a garage sale and as usually for anyone who can't
solve it, I start exclaiming that its an unsolvable gag trick.
Anyone seen this and know if its solvable? Would appreciate either
some tips or solution link.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3421/1822/400/ball_ring_puzzle.0.jpg
Thanks for reading.
Cheers,
Eric
If the goal of the puzzle is to move the ring from the side with the yellow
ball to the side with the blue ball, then it should be solvable.

Carl G.
Carl G.
2006-09-18 05:59:27 UTC
Post by Carl G.
Post by e***@gmail.com
Hello,
I picked this up at a garage sale and as usually for anyone who can't
solve it, I start exclaiming that its an unsolvable gag trick.
Anyone seen this and know if its solvable? Would appreciate either
some tips or solution link.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3421/1822/400/ball_ring_puzzle.0.jpg
Thanks for reading.
Cheers,
Eric
If the goal of the puzzle is to move the ring from the side with the yellow
ball to the side with the blue ball, then it should be solvable.
Carl G.
Looking over my past posts, I found this solution to a classic puzzle. The
solution to your puzzle is very similar. Note that the beads are larger
than the holes.

(The diagram is best viewed using a fixed-width font).

____________________________
| ___ |
| / \ Hole |
| X | | X |
| | \|_|/ | |
--|----------|-|----------|--
| / | | \ |
| '-----'C |
| | | |
\ / \ /
---()---- ----()---
A B

The two ends of the string are fixed (e.g., knotted) at the "X"'s.

The string starts at the left "X", forms loop "A", goes through the left
bead, goes up past the front of the bar and into the hole, down and around
to the left behind the bar, passes in front of the string to form loop "C",
goes up and around on the right behind the bar, goes through the hole from
back to front, goes down and through loop "C", forms loop "B", goes through
the right bead, and finishes at the right "X".

Spoiler...

Spoiler...

Spoiler...

Spoiler...

Solution:

Call the loop the left bead is on "A".
Call the loop the right bead is on "B"
Call the loop at the center of the string "C".

1. Slide the right bead up near the right knot (out of the way).
2. Pull down on loop "C".
3. Slide the left bead to the right, through loop "C", until the bead is
near the center hole.
4. Bring loop "C" around to the back by pulling the inner ends of "A" and
"B" towards you through the center hole.
5. Keep pulling on "A" and "B" until loop "C" moves to the back and it
passes through the hole from the back side to the front side.
6. There will be two little loops around "C". Enlarge them by pulling them
towards you (through the center hole and down).
7. Pass the "left" bead from the left side of the two loops to the right
side by moving the bead through the loops.
8. Pull the center of the string "C" back through the center hole and around
to the front.
9. Both beads should now be on the right side.

Carl G.
e***@gmail.com
2006-09-18 15:50:35 UTC
Hi Carl,

Thanks for this. I will work this over and see if it helps.

I answer to your previous question about what the "goal" of the puzzle
is ... hah! I guess that's part of the puzzle. I never got any
documentation when I picked it up and its a good guess but I assume
that to either move the ring to the other ball side, or else take it
off completely.

Eric
Carl G.
e***@gmail.com
2006-09-19 14:52:01 UTC
Hi Carl,

No go with your instructions. Either I couldn't properly interpret
your instructions, or I don't think it applied to this puzzle.

If you view the image in my original message, can you apply those steps
to that image?

Thanks,
Eric
Carl G.
Carl G.
2006-09-19 16:06:47 UTC
(fixed top-posting)
Post by e***@gmail.com
Post by Carl G.
Post by Carl G.
ball to the side with the blue ball, then it should be solvable.
Carl G.
Looking over my past posts, I found this solution to a classic puzzle.
The
solution to your puzzle is very similar. Note that the beads are larger
than the holes.
Hi Carl,
No go with your instructions. Either I couldn't properly interpret
your instructions, or I don't think it applied to this puzzle.
If you view the image in my original message, can you apply those steps
to that image?
Thanks,
Eric
Turn your puzzle upside down and arrange the string so that it appears as in
this diagram:

(View diagrams with a fixed-width font)

________________________
|________________________|
/ \ | | / \
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
\_ _/ | | \_ _/
|| | | ||
|| | | ||
|| | | ||
|| | | ||
|| | | ||
|| _| |_ ||
|| / ____ \ ||
|| | | | | ||
|| | |_ _| | ||
|| | |T||T| | ||
|| \_||||_/ ||
|| |||||| ||
|| ||__|| ||
|| \____/ ||
|| |||| _ ||
\\___// \\_||//
\___/ \_||/
\_/ Ring

Then, follow the steps in the pictures at:

http://britton.disted.camosun.bc.ca/jbstringring.htm

Carl G.
Eric
2006-09-20 02:20:37 UTC
YEA !!! figured it out, or rather got some nice hints from the link you
sent that led me on the right path.

I look at the puzzle and see the two links of rope that the balls are
each on, and I can't invision how the ring moves from one the the
other; seems impossible, but the proof is in the doing and it worked.
Some kind of space/time warping going on!

Anyhew ... thanks all for the tips.
Cheers,
Eric
Post by Carl G.
(fixed top-posting)
Post by e***@gmail.com
Carl G.
Phil Carmody
2006-09-18 06:53:38 UTC
***@gmail.com writes:

Woh! I know there are a couple of other Carmodies on usenet, I'm
just surprised to see one on the dozen, mostly low bandwidth, ones
I frequent!
Post by e***@gmail.com
I picked this up at a garage sale and as usually for anyone who can't
solve it, I start exclaiming that its an unsolvable gag trick.
Anyone seen this and know if its solvable? Would appreciate either
some tips or solution link.
Are the ends of the string attached to the wooden base? From the
symmetrical and contrived positioning of the two balls, it looks
like it.

Phil
--
"Home taping is killing big business profits. We left this side blank
so you can help." -- Dead Kennedys, written upon the B-side of tapes of
/In God We Trust, Inc./.
e***@gmail.com
2006-09-18 15:59:05 UTC
Hi Phil ... nice bumping into another Carmody.

In answer to your question, Yes the rope ends are attached to the
wooden base.

I should have made more clarifying comments in my original post.

The balls can slide up the rope but cannot get past the top wooden ring
(B).
The B ring does not come off the post.
The metal A ring can not fit over the ball.
Each end of the rope is attached to the base (under the two balls).
Neither the balls nor the ring can get through the hold in the top
wooden ring (B).
The big loop end of the rope (C) can not be fitted/pulled around or
under the wooden base.

It seems impossible to me.
/In God We Trust, Inc./.
BusyGuy
2006-09-18 07:42:22 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
Hello,
I picked this up at a garage sale and as usually for anyone who can't
solve it, I start exclaiming that its an unsolvable gag trick.
Anyone seen this and know if its solvable? Would appreciate either
some tips or solution link.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3421/1822/400/ball_ring_puzzle.0.jpg
Thanks for reading.
Cheers,
Eric
Am I missing something, Eric? Perhaps the balls are glued down?

Otherwise, wouldn't it work like this: Life up both balls, pass loop in
cord around and underneath the base
e***@gmail.com
2006-09-18 16:03:32 UTC
Hi BusyGuy,

See my previous comment as to some more description.

The balls are not glued down.
The rope is not long enough to pass under the base. I've tried to
force/stretch and it won't go.

Thanks,
Eric